fishing

When I was a little girl I lived in Braemar Hill, in a community filled with families.  Our complex has lots of space for me to ride my bicycle at breakneck speeds (I have a large scar on my shin to prove it) and a natural area with ponds and trees where I would build forts and hang rope swings.  during the mid Autumn festival the pond area would be packed with children, all carrying our lanterns.  We would make paper boats and place the candles from our lanterns into the boats to float across the pond. More candles were adhered with wax to the bridge over the pond as well as the pond edge.  Once per year the pond would come alive with flickering lights and laughter from dozens of children.

My sister always had a winged creature for her lantern while I always had a cellophane fish.  This was my favorite holiday, even more beloved than Christmas.  My family was very practical and Christmas was never a blowout of outrageous gifts like it was for my friends; I would receive one or two toys, some clothing and a couple of small items.  But during the mid Autumn festival I was given a beautiful lantern with a candle and allowed to go to the park after dinner for an hour of unsupervised revelry. With fire!  I made use of every drop of wax before my sixty minutes were over. 

Lately I have seen several cellophane fish lanterns in store displays and I have begun to yearn for one.  None of the stores with fish lanterns is selling theirs so I will have to figure out where to buy one.  Does anyone know where I can buy a cellophane fish lantern?

Comments

Anonymous said…
You need to go to "Lantern Street", which is actually a section of Queen's Road West (around number 160, at the junction with Sutherland Street) in Sheung Wan. Photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bubi/1428458420/in/photostream/
architart said…
Thank you! I'll be fishing for my lantern next weekend.