The New Frontier

I've moved my blog here. It seems fitting, as I have moved across the world to Hong Kong to live with my hunny. I decided that he needs a nickname, just in case he wants more privacy from my rantings. I shall call him SB. He is, after all, my snuggle bug. And when he isn't so snuggly, he can be my son of a ... bug. SB.

The last few months before the big move were traumatic for both of us. SB was already here and waiting for over a year while I was having attacks of the what ifs. Packing up your whole life (and giving a lot of it away) so that all you have left can fit onto the plane or in storage is difficult, to put it mildly. I did not have anywhere near the cathartic experience I had moving to Ithaca from Texas four years ago. I think this was because I have lost that familiar sense. It's not like I can run into the nearest mall and buy back my clothes, household items, etc. There's no (gasp!) Target, no supermarket, no familiar clothing stores where I know the sizes will fit and I won't look like a bag full of doorknobs.

Everything is new and different. I feel different. SB has a different life. In Ithaca, we lived in a small town setting, surrounded by vast, open space. I had a job and he had lots of time. We hiked, swam, wind surfed, played rugby... he played hockey and lacrosse and took up polo. Here we are in an international supercity. Some things are similar, yet still different. There is still rugby and hockey but he has to lug his gear onto the metro and cross the sea into Kowloon side to get to the rink. The trails are paved and manicured, and look back into the city. I am looking for a job and he works a lot.

We are enjoying getting to know each other again in this alternate universe. Some things are still familiar. We cuddle the same. He still wraps his arm around mine when we go to sleep; he still needs to be touching me. I still wake up with my nose smooshed into his armpit. And then there are the new things. Last weekend he took me to the opera. As we sat in the theater, he held me hand. His fingers intertwined with mine, or at times stroked my hand. Sitting there in the dark with his hand over mine, I felt cherished. It felt good to be home with him.

Comments

Jennifer W said…
Yay! I'm so excited for your new adventure, your new blog and being able to stalk you from across the world. There will be some rough times transitioning and you're right, you will not always like SB but it will be so much fun to make this jump together. I'm so happy for you!!
Jennifer W said…
I just saw that my last post posted as 8:40 pm. I was thinking "What the heck?" then I realized that if I remember the Olympics correctly, you are 13 hours ahead of me so you are awake at a decent hour while I am awake too freaking early. Tell baby girl that 11pm, 3am and 6am are not appropriate wake up/stay up times. She needs a talking to.
Congrats on the big move! I wish that we could have met when you were stateside, but oh well. Have fun!
[shakes off water and tree debris]

Hope the weather in HK is way better than it has been here in Houston since Friday 12 Sept!

Actually, today is very nice. Sunny, cool, and dry. Perfect for clearing the streets.

What the heck am I talk about? Read here