Night at the Opera

Last weekend SB took me to see our first opera together. It almost didn't happen for a number of reasons. First, when he asked me, I replied that I had nothing to wear. This is a very typical woman's argument but nonetheless valid. I only brought two suitcases of clothing and items here and an opera outfit was not in the packing list. His response was that he would find another date then. And he wonders why I sometimes do not appreciate his humor!

On second thought he agreed to buy me a dress. So I spent the rest of the week searching for something that would benefit more than one use and still be suitable for opera. I have to add in that right now in Hong Kong it is miserably hot and humid so you cannot help but to sweat like a horse and this doesn't make me want to try on nice dresses that I will only sweat in. I ended up buying a dress, but it was less opera and more long summer dress. But as I was trying it on I remembered that I did have something I could wear. I had a blouse that I had bought to go to a nice art opening in New York. I could pair this with the Banana Republic silk satin pencil skirt that I bought over a year ago and never wore because it turned out to be too nice to wear to the office and too mature to wear on an evening out with my homies, although I have since fantasized about where I could wear it. Purrrrfect. I could pair it with those incredibly sexy black satin shoes that I have only worn twice but are worth every penny that I paid for them. I will post the shoe story next.

SB ended up surprising me by picking out and purchasing earrings to go with my opera outfit. Sometimes he amazes me. He really is all boy so this is a huge deal (not at all like Kristen and Jennifer's husbands who can buy them nice, fitting clothing). SB's only attempt at buying me something to wear in our entire relationship was a SHINY turquise shirt that could have fit me and my sister. His explanation was that it was the closest thing in the store he could find to my favorite color of jade green (note: just b/c it is my favorite color does not mean that I want to be decked out like a leprechaun all the time). And having payed no attention to my clothing before he figured that if it was too small for him to wear then it must fit me, right?

So now it was Saturday night and I was looking very nice, if I do say so myself. I bothered to put my hair in some half updo with the rest cascading down my back, just like I know he likes, and I had those awesome shoes on. This is where it all went wrong. SB is a dawdler. He claims not to be but his sister verified for me that he just does things on his own clock. So he tinkered around and we didn't leave until half an hour before the show started. I gave him some grief over that but he was sure we would make it. Not only did he have the start time wrong by 15 minutes, but his credit card wasn't working when he went to purchase the tickets that he reserved and then when he located me at the entrance and got my card, we were half an hour into the opera. I was not interested in missing the first act so we decided to get tickets for Sunday night.

All was not lost because he took me to an amazing dinner of tapas and paella at El Cid. I think there must have been some guilt over the blunder b/c on our way back to the island he bought me a beautiful silk dress (shops here are open late), making it his third clothing purchase for me in a week, and only the fourth clothing purchase in our relationship. Does this mean I am on my way to being a kept woman?

Sunday we made it on time to the opera. We saw Don Carlo, which is one of the Verdi operas that I am not so familiar with. I have discovered that I am quite an opera fan. I felt the music piercing right to my soft, mushy little heart, and enjoyed everything, from the stage set to the high drama to sitting next to SB and enjoying how handsome he looks in a suit. I think the best part was how good it felt to be sitting with him and enjoying high art together. He told me of a time when he was young and he went with his parents to an opera. He saw an empty row of seats near the front so before the next act he snuck past security and sat in the row. The soprano looked out at the audience and saw him, a young boy sitting alone in an empty row watching the opera, and she winked at him.

I would have winked at him, also.

Comments