The Magical Hockey Stick

SB and I are recovering from our games yesterday. I had a great time playing and so did he, even though his team lost and were badly mistreated by the not-so-neutral ref. Hopefully they will get their discipline under control so they aren't penalized. It was pretty clear that their contempt for the ref led to him issuing some very shady calls as well as FOUR yellow cards. One of the yellow cards became a red card. This isn't soccer, and a card means that you are in the sin bin for ten minutes while your team struggles without you, so that meant that SB's team played one man down for more than half the game, and with only 13 players for ten minutes. If that isn't a clear sign that the ref had lost all reason as well as control over the game, then I would like to hear about it.

The women's team won 44-0 in the 15s game and 38-5 in the 10s game. No yellow cards, although I received a penalty in the waning minutes that put us on our try line and was pretty upset about it. Especially since I not only had no idea of what I did wrong, and in fact was sure that the penalty was on the woman who was lying on the ground, not releasing the ball that I was trying to pull free. It's a pretty crappy thing to have happen, but worse when it could lead to the other team scoring. I asked what I did wrong and the ref said that I wasn't the tackler (huh?) and did not have rights to the ball. I then asked the coach what I did wrong since the ref was not going to talk to me, and he said that I didn't do anything wrong. I still feel crappy for putting the team on the line like that but I feel even more furious that I was even penalized.

So for those who are rugby players, I will elaborate what happened and ask for opinions. The opposing player was running out wide toward our try line. One of my teammates attempted to tackle her and succeeded in wrapping her up but not bringing her down. The opposing player was turned, facing me. I grabbed the ball and the two of them started to fall backward from me. They both landed on the ground and I ended up standing, bent over with my hands still grabbing onto the ball. I tried to pry it free but the opposing player would not release. Then, still holding the ball, I moved one leg over her so that I was more stable and straddling over her. Finally I wrested the ball from her, only to have the referee penalize me. WTF?! AARGH!


So today we are relaxing at home. Our weekend relaxing time is one of my favorite events. SB and I curl up on the couch. Or, actually, I curl up into some corner of the couch and he puts his feet on me. I know it is love because I allow those long, hairy toes on me.


not so bad at this angle

but this is the close up of those hairy, long, monkey toes

We read the paper, or talk about the week, or whatever random things come up. Today we discussed his magical hockey stick. I do not find it to have magical properties. This may be due to the fact that I got whacked by it when SB was stick handling and we were goofing around. I play rugby. I had a fat girl fall and land on her ass, on my face this weekend. I have broken my nose twice. And nothing compares to the pain of that stick colliding with my ankle.

SB thinks the stick is magical b/c of the many (inappropriate) uses he has of it. It promotes laziness. He has a stick in the bedroom by our bed. It goes great with the creamy, soft, earth tones. He has it there for the sole purpose of using it to reach across the bed to turn off the light. Yes, the wall around the light switch has strange black streaks that look like his stick tape but that surely cannot be.

He once used the stick to lean out of his window and rap loudly on the window of his downstairs neighbors who were playing music too loudly late at night and did not heed his taps on the floor. And yes, he scared them half to death, especially when he followed up by knocking on their door in his boxers.

Now he thinks he should have another "magical" multi-purpose hockey stick by his side on the couch. That way, when I slouch and stick my head down toward my chest, he can reach over with the stick and tap my chin up. I'm sure you can imagine my delight at that thought. His magical hockey stick may end up stuck into some orifice where the sun doesn't shine.

Comments

Jennifer W said…
He he he. Hickey stick.

You are such a good writer, Little C!