Unsoundly Sleeping

SB and I usually sleep restfully through the night. It is something that delighted me early on, because I have never been good about sharing my bed. Ask my sister. We have to share the guest bedroom in our parents' home in Tucson and it doesn't end well.

Our bed here in HK is one of those nice looking Ikea creations. The mattress is not as soft (going with that streamline bed thing) and we have had to downgrade from a queen to a weird size that isn't full but isn't queen. It is the most frequent bed size here. If this were the usual sleeping pattern it would not be a problem but SB cannot sleep through the night on his side with the thin mattress. Having spent most of the year without me in the bed, he has found his own solution to this by sprawling in weird positions. This means that my nights have alternated between waking up to his snoring, and waking up because he has sprawled and is squishing me underneath him.



SB also has a habit, which was once cute. The formerly cute habit occurred when I moved in my sleep, which was not often. If I was no longer touching him in my sleep, he instinctively started rolling toward me. I always knew if I moved in my sleep because when I woke up I was pinned in whatever corner I had rolled to, and his arm or leg would be thrown over me. In this new bed i get pinned a lot. And squished.

SB also used to spoon me so that I was nicely snuggled up next to him. This also kept him on his side, and prevented snoring.



But now he has discovered that he likes to be the little spoon. He likes me behind him so he can prop himself up and lean back on me. It works out for me because once he is sleeping I can roll off and lay on my back like I prefer, until he rolls over and the squishing begins.

But once in a while I would like to be the little spoon again.


Comments