Questions from a Welsh Prop

After the match, SB and I stopped by the Fringe for a charity mustache auction and then went to Carnegie's in Wanchai. We met an Englishman and two Welshmen whose names I wish I had caught because we chatted with them for most of the night and they were quite entertaining. The larger of the large men gave SB some grief over being an American with a New Zealand jersey. So I gave him the short version of why it made sense.

Basically, we told him that NZ is a dynamic and almost always solid team to watch. So why not? But there is another reason why we are fans: it is what is available. What many European fans don't understand is that there are limited rugby viewing options in the States. Some viewers can watch Setanta if it is ordered by their local pub. SB and I get our regular rugby from Mediazone. Mediazone shows Tri Nations, Currie Cup, Air New Zealand Cup, June Tours, and Super 14. The only European matches that I saw offered were the Celtic Tests and Heineken Cup. Both were blocked from viewing when we tried to order them. Therefore, our only regular international viewing opportunities are for South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand. I am also a fan of South African rugby.

On top of this the few opportunities that we have had to see other talent came when England sent several sorry teams over to play, followed by France sending over some of their B team. I know that there are far better players than the ones sent over to contest the tours but I have not seen them play so why would I become a fan based on that sorry showing?

A couple of times per year I am able to see some Northern Hemisphere talent. I do remember the talent vividly. For example, I did mention to the Welshman that I was very impressed when Wales came over and I became an instant Colin Charvis fan. Welshman was surprised that I knew who Charvis was, and apparently had played with him before in his younger days. So we had that to bond on, even if he still would not accept SB in a NZ jersey. Sadly, I have never seen Charvis play again (due to the lack of European rugby broadcasts) and I have heard that he retired. Le sigh.

But Welshman thinks that Charvis will unretire for the New Zealand-Wales match in the near future. I hope so. Who knows, I may even get me a Wales jersey :)

Comments

Paul said…
"our only regular international viewing opportunities are for South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand. I am also a fan of South African rugby."

What about Australia then? I'm guessing you've picked the All Blacks because it's easier to back a winner. Shame on you.
architart said…
and shame on you for your guessing wrong. I guess I can see your point since I mentioned SA and NZ but not Australia. To understand my bias you should understand that I started playing on a team with Kiwi teammates in 1995, and they were the ones who introduced me to international rugby. I have never had an Australian teammate, and have never developed love for Australian rugby, even if Gregan was the best scrum half in the world. And I despised Larkham to the horror of the one Australian rugby player I knew- my university coach. I did cheer for Australia during the 03 World Cup final, for my coach, and I felt bad when they lost and said coach went into mourning.

But hey- you've got Robbie Deans, who I like over Graham Henry, so the winning may change. But I will still like the All Blacks.
architart said…
and I should clarify that my SA preference is really just admiration for Jean de Villiers.