Super Saturday

As usual, it started as a rugby day. My team won our game 51-0 in the Happy Valley pitch. I had a momentary lapse of reason and was penalized for mouthing off to the ref. Not good. I spent most of the game trying to shake my bad mood and it didn't help that the tighthead prop kept headbutting me in the neck. The ref gave her the benefit of doubt that she didn't know any better than to aim her head at me and he cautioned her over and over and over again and she smiled and continued to hit me. No, I am not happy even though overall she had little effect on me and we still ran over them. Frankly, her attempts to injure me only led to problems in their scrum because she was coming in sideways on me and our stronger team pushed her back over her lock, who came up crying so many times that we ended up going uncontested. I am still seething and wanted very badly to retaliate but I had to keep my calm. I may see her again next week for the 10's final. Let's hope that I can keep it together.

We played in the dust bowl that once was a grassy pitch. I am still finding dirt in my eyes, nostrils, and hair. More seriously, there was an e-mail sent out to the rugby community that players are coming down with some rather nasty infections from cuts and scrapes on the pitch. This confirms my suspicions of there being bacteria present in the low lying pitches, especially in Happy Valley and Football Club. SB had a couple of weird looking bumps after his game at FC that very quickly opened up into large sores. I was really freaked out and went aggressively after them with anti-biotic cream and sterile dressing. I am terrified of staph infections. On his team, one player ended up in the hospital for a very infected knee injury and another had skin scraped off his behind from a seemingly inocuous infection. What a mess!

The men won their game, also against DEA. I will say that more than a few of the supporters who came out to watch them at King's Park were beside ourselves. The DEA men are a solid team, and we lost to them quite badly in the pre-season if I recall correctly. I think they were stunned, and their side of the pitch was dead silent as the final minutes went by and we were up three tries and they were unable to break through the defense, even with us down a man for twenty minutes. I am still giddy just writing about it. Good, no more bad mood. After the game I gave SB lots of hugs and kisses and then checked him over for any new and suspicious scrapes.

I am worried about one thing, though. SB told me that although he was delighted for his teammates he did not share in their joy. Not the way he enjoys himself in hockey. I have known that he loves to play hockey more and does rugby because of his deep respect for his teammates, but I fear that his days starting for the team are numbered. We may have to return him to his natural habitat on ice next season :(

Comments