The Bah Humbug

SB started moping around like he did before Thanksgiving, down because he was not filled with the holiday spirit. Not this again, I thought. I gave him some room because this is his first Christmas without his beloved grandmother, and her birthday fell on December 25. But he also admitted some humbuggery because in his opinion Christmas is really the most fun only for children. His nephew is at the age that he is making lists for Santa and SB is filled with the bittersweet realization that in a few short years, the joy will be over (according to him).

Now, being the niece of who my uncle refers to as the "jolly Christmas elf," I come by my cheer through generations of quirky individuals who launch into the season with boundless joy and maybe a few too many eggnogs. I see a younger generation repeat of my grinchy and lovable uncle, and my jolly decorating elf of an aunt.

At least SB likes Christmas music. I tried to get him into the spirit with my attempts at holding a tune. I fah lah lahhed my heart out. We went to mass (or whatever it's called for Anglicans). But he was still mopey.

Then on Christmas morning he went to buy eggs as I was baking my yearly bûche de Noël (yule log cake) and rolling out my little marzipan forest plants. He returned much later, carting a scrawny little plant. "Look what I found," he called out triumphantly, "a Christmas tree!" Actually, it looked like a Christmas tree top but we won't get bogged down on the details. It was very short and missing a large amount of it's lower branches. It also was missing a good chunk of one side. No worry, we would face that side to the wall. Anyway, our shoebox can't hold a bigger sized tree (top). I didn't ask but he revealed that he paid a small fortune for this sad, little, tree top ($320), which he was proud that he "bargained down" from $400. Just in case I didn't think it was a good deal, he added helpfully that we got the tree stand as well. Because I always wanted a tree stand. I suppose that I can use the stand to clamp onto him and turn the screws if he ever makes me angry.

He was so happy that I could only be happy as well. I was thankful that the humbugs were over. We even went out and got some lights. Most importantly, the tree smells fabulous, like a full sized Christmas tree!

I had a moment of worry when I began sneezing. Then I looked up and was relieved to see that SB was dusting the blinds. "Whew," I said, "I was afraid that I was allergic to the tree!"

"If that were the case I know which of the two of you would have to go," he replied, "I paid a fortune for that tree!" I know who is waking up with a tree stand clamped to his head.

A happy holiday to all!

Comments

Jennifer W said…
I love you Carol. I can visualize you telling me this story over margaritas. Hope Christmas in the new land was special.