the bright side

SB's Thailand tour should be great fun for him but for me as well since the time alone (hopefully not extended by any unforeseen circumstances) will give me opportunity to engage in all the bad habits that I usually suppress. SB's bad habits are typical of most men: he confuses chair backs for hangers, stockpiles newspaper and mail on all surfaces, scatters shoes all about, drops hockey and rugby gear in the center of the living areas, and accumulates mountainous piles of laundry until the disappearance of all underwear forces him to haul it down to the laundromat.

My bad habits are more quirky and sly. I do not advertise them in messy heaps throughout the flat. They are not so much bad habits as they are things I cannot do in SB's presence due to his intolerance, or things I cannot do as a member of a couple (and I am not talking about sleazy single person behavior).

Under things that are intolerable to SB, that I look forward to doing are:
- eating durian, or as SB calls it, stinkyfruit.
- eating animal parts that are not nondescript, round slabs
- eating stinky cheese
- playing any type of music that you could possibly dance to
- playing music by women who don't shave their armpits
- drinking red wine
- girly things that are not productive to SB (do not yield cookies, snacks, foot rubs)

Of course I realize that I cannot accomplish everything in those four days, unless I choose to dance while eating stinky cheese and swilling wine with my girlfriends. The other problem is that I actually do not have those girlfriends here.

And then I have to consider time for the things I cannot do as a couple, or at least as a couple that includes a man such as SB. When he is around I do not have time for myself, especially in our tiny flat. Not that I mind, because I do not, but now I have an opportunity to do all the old stuff I used to do. I can have alone time. Even when I had roommates I would wake up especially early on the weekends so that no one else was awake and enjoy making a cup of coffee in the stove top espresso maker. I would sit on the steps outside the house and drink my coffee while watching the sun rise. These days SB maintains a vise-like grip on me, usually with one leg thrown over me for good measure, so that the sun rises without me. Not that I object to his desire to cuddle...except when I am being suffocated.

Some single habits have easily dovetailed into couple habits due to willingness of the other party such as walkabouts throughout the city or long hikes. SB even managed to wake up earlier back when he was wooing me and told me that one of the things he most enjoyed was the coffee on the porch and watching as the neighborhood started buzzing with life. One thing that he never participated in, and I need to do alone, is cleaning time. He is a hopelessly disorganized pack rat who can never be inspired to change no matter how much he enjoys it when I sort him out. I actually look forward to being able to fold his clothing into perfect little right angles and put things away.

And I can do that while slurping red wine and nibbling stinky cheese...to the music of my favorite female singer with hairy armpits.

Comments