The resolution that can be cured by a pill

Actually, I have begun to suspect that the root of this problem was the pill. Since moving to Hong Kong I have been steadily piling on the pounds. First I attributed it to the fact that I was not exercising regularly but then I picked up with my rugby team and started running regularly. Then I decided that I was gaining weight because of the switch from home cooked meals to dining out... except that I don't dine out more than I did before. Hmmm...

Then there was the problem that I was gaining weight despite the changes I was making. I was not worried because I had never had a weight problem but then I had also never put on so much weight over such a stretch. I began to grow suspicious about the one constant since the weight gain began.

When I moved here I discovered that my tri-cyclen was not popular. Most birth control here is mono-cyclen. After talking it over with the doctor I decided to try a popular birth control pill here. Since then I have gained three to four pounds each month. I know this because we have weighed me each month. Finally, I asked her if my weight gain could be attributed to this pill, as there was no other constant in my habits. I am now on a new pill that doesn't have as high a level of progesterone. Now all I need to do is drop the weight. Piece of cake, I'm sure. Frankly, if this pill made my hormones such that I got fat, one would think that someone could give me a reversal but that just doesn't happen.

There were other problems that I had started to become suspicious about. I had figured that I didn't want any sexy time with SB because I was grumpy. And I was grumpy because I was getting fat. Perhaps that wasn't quite the problem, and the high levels of progesterone were more to blame.

I remember my friend L had started getting the birth control shot. She thought it was the best thing since sliced bread because she could get a shot and not have to worry about anything for six months. Five months later she told me that she had gained thirty pounds and was ill tempered all the time. I joked that the shot really had no value other than basing its success on the fact that women became so fat and ornery that no one would want to have sex with them. Now that I am having the same problem I can see why she didn't think I was funny.

SB has been very supportive of me changing pills. He has heard me moaning about my seemingly uncontrollable weight gain and general ambivalence for months. I think he shall be sad for the end of his respite from me chasing him around the flat and trying to get him in the sack. Well, maybe he will enjoy my return to normal for a few weeks. I certainly will be happy and grateful for the return to my old self. I may even attempt to be more understanding when he says that he's tired considering that I have spent the past three and a half months acting like Grendel's mother (the soft blob from John Gardner's wonderful retelling).

Comments

Jennifer W said…
This has to be my favorite post yet. You speak for the masses. And we don't encourage you to take the shot for more than 2 years anyway so steer clear. Good luck on the new one.