where the wild things are

The things that I am most homesick for are my girlfriends. I have met a lot of wonderful women here but I have not found any to be bonded to like I am bonded to girls back in the States. Some Most of this is my fault. I have been overly bonded with SB so that I have had little time to seek out other friendships.

Girlfriends can be great, especially my girlfriends. They are mostly women who are very similar to me, who share my goals and fears and neurosis. We support each other, encourage one another, and are always willing to assemble for a glass or two (or three) of wine. I only had one girlfriend in high school and was fine with that when I used to think that most women were catty or silly. I still think that there are too many women whose mothers raise them to act like fools so as not to intimidate certain insecure potential male suitors but I have been lucky to discover that there are endless numbers of women (and men) who rise above.

It helped that I met a lot of these women while doing things that I was very interested in, i.e. university courses and sporting events. My girlfriends are very capable women who share my interest in either design, play, food, art, or nature. Some of us seem to have been part of a batch of clones with our shared love of cheese, broken down buildings, machine parts, Starn brothers, and fine smelling lumber (ponderosa pine is delicious!). I remember when my friend Kristen told me that her husband gave her a Leatherman and an Anthropologie skirt for her birthday and I was jealous. I quickly overcame the envy when SB presented me with a pleasingly smooth and substantially heavy ebony wood sculpture for my birthday along with a stunningly illustrated Indian cookbook. I think he tried to get me to cook for him but I was too busy rubbing my cheek against the sculpture. My girlfriends would understand.

Comments