And just in case you were wondering

SB has been stalking his former winter home of the past 30+ years via webcam and at this moment it is -5 F (-21 C) and he is arguing with me over the "severe" weather warning. He scoffs at anything that wouldn't initiate mandatory hibernation. I am of the opinion that anything under 10 F (-12 C) is severe. I base this on the experience of feeling like I was having a heart attack when scurrying home from studio at 2 AM during the winter months in Ithaca. If I feel like I cannot breathe, it is severe. The Adirondacks can drop to -20 F (-29 C) on a regular basis, and SB has had some winters dip to -40 F (-40 C). He wore four layers of clothing. Most cars would not start without batteries having to be brought inside for warming despite very low cold cranking amp ratings.

I don't think I could make it. I was lucky that last winter was mild. SB sneered at my decision to pack my Sorels that were rated from -20 to -40 F because it did not get below 0. But my feet felt great-- probably the only part of my body that was consistently warm. Anyway, he also sneers when I throw on a light fleece here. I know that I will never win with him but I will survive.

Comments