CNY Fireworks



Although thwarted by the crowds at the fair, SB and I were adamant about watching the fireworks live. Aside from Yves Pépin and Christophe Berthonneau's absolutely stunning New Year 2000 light show on the Eiffel Tower (you must check out this link to it), which I did not see live, I think the HK fireworks are the best I have seen. The sheer volume is impressive, the setting of Victoria Harbour and the festively lit buildings is ideal, and the added perk of the launching barge catching fire every few years adds to the excitement.

I have posted some of my pictures, as well as a couple quick videos that captured what I could not get as an image.










The beginning, with little flairs shooting off into the air, and SB humming along for added entertainment.



Everything gets sparkly!



A giant explosion of lights



Brightly changing colors



The finale, in thick smoke

Comments

Anna said…
The fireworks were great, weren't they? Looks like you had a better spot than I did.

And yay for Texans in Hong Kong! I admit, most of my Tex-Mex stuff comes from the States (either in my suitcase or from visitors), but I've had some luck finding things like tomatillos and masa at CitySuper. Gateway too, occasionally.

I also hear there's a random shop in Wanchai that sells canned chipotles, but the woman refused to provide details to my coworker. I guess she doesn't want anyone using her supply.
architart said…
Like I said, I am thrilled to find some bits of home here. I work and sometimes relax in Wanchai so I will be on the lookout for chipotles!