Cooking with the hunny

"It would be understandable if you thought this was deep fried."

That sums up the joy and pain and laughter of this latest dinner collaboration. SB and I teamed up (somewhat unwillingly on my part) for quesadilla night. The scene: our tiny, tiny kitchen in our shoebox apartment. It is maybe five meters by four meters, with a small amount of standing room.

Having lived in San Antonio for almost five years, I consider myself to have a decent grasp of Mexican and Tex-Mex food. I make one heck of a roasted green chili salsa. I do a good job on enchiladas and quesadillas. SB has his own ideas of what constitutes a perfect quesadilla. We ended up making several different versions of them for dinner.

The basics include large flour tortillas and a good mix of cheese that can melt. Tonight we found some Monterrey Jack, cheddar, and other white cheeses. To this we added various mixtures of cilantro, onions, chopped green chili, and bacon. I made a nice batch of guacamole to go along with the green and red salsas that we like to dip the quesadillas in.

Dinner with SB is always enjoyable. I like having someone nearby to talk to while fixing the meal, even if he is literally bumping into me. So what if he grated part of his finger with the cheese and doused the quesadilla in too much oil when it was his turn to mind the cooking. Or that he thought AC/DC made for good dinner music. Or that he samples too much of the meal. I love having him with me. That is why I could only laugh when he deep fried our dinner.

Comments

Jennifer W said…
Kevin cooks more now that Avelyn is here. I just am not interested anymore. But I agree, having a companion to hang out in the kitchen with is so much more fun. I am baking more than I should (and my tummy and butt are paying for it) but I have found that Avelyn is a most fantastic cooks helper. She holds a little red spatula we call her "cookin' stick" and waves it like nobody's business. Not so good with the conversation but she can hold her own.
really fantastic enjoy here dinner with friends.There kitchen have more space and fantastic cooks helper.