Losing never tasted so good

SB's rugby team had to reschedule the match against Football Club, that they missed when they went to Thailand to play the Thai Navy. It was last night, and with Richie's suspension, Tory's bum toe, and some boys having to work, they fielded a team of 13. I had mentioned that they could ask some of the fourth division men to fill in but I guess they didn't make the call. Then in the opening minutes the national team player had to go to the hospital. So they were down to 12. Then the captain got his chin split open and had to leave the pitch for ten minutes. They were down to 11. If they went down to 10 the match would have been called.

Despite this motley crew we were better behaved and more motivated than we were at last week's pounding against DEA. I thoroughly enjoyed watching Causeway Bay and was proud of the way they played, unlike last week. The referee was deplorable and worked hard to earn his membership card at the Football Club, but I am beginning to get used to the uneven execution of rugby law. Now, I know that I have aired many a grievance against the Club due to some really snobbish and entitled behavior (backed up by a string of FC member referees) but this time I was impressed by their sportsmanship. They correctly exploited our holes out wide due to 11 men being on the pitch, but gone was the smugness. I noticed that at least one wing was probably from the second division team and the fullback was mentoring him during the match. They also did not seem overjoyed when the referee did his best to hand them the match and reversed two penalties and marched us back twenty meters as we were creeping toward the FC try line. It would have been a miracle if we had scored, although we did once. I thought referees could only give penalties if they were spoken to, but he gleefully docked us when he heard the prop and the scrum half arguing over a line out.

So here is what did work out for us: we played as a team. Several of the players broke through three or four tackles, which was the only way we could advance with so much coverage against us. SB carried the ball more to make up for the lack of forwards, and he made some important tackles, although one could say that all tackles are important in these matches. The Frenchies came by late in the second half to watch the match and I coerced them to take to the pitch in their training shirts. Xavier had a great catch and counterattack on his only touch of the ball and Max made several spectacular tackles in his training shoes. Thomas, our more senior Chinese scrum half, also took up the mantle and joined the match. I wish someone had a camera because it would have been great to present Thomas with a portrait of himself playing in the first division. The women's team showed up to support them and we outnumbered the home crowd.

Even better, after the match SB and I went with the Chinese men and women to eat at the Bowrington food centre (the market is one of my favorites for fresh produce). I have been there several times to order the delicious mutton curry noodles recommended by Chaxiubao. Yes, they are spectacular and no, the vendor doesn't speak a word of English but all I had to do was find shop number 3 and point at the curry. Anyway, this time we were there for another part of the food center that I had never ventured to. To the left of the elevator was a section with white plastic tablecloths that served quite a variety of food.

It was probably one of the best dinners that I have had, and for a huge feast we only paid $54 HKD each. I went crazy for the fluffy scallion and oyster omelet and the aubergine while SB went after the mapo tofu and beef in vermicelli. The locals were very into a clay pot with lamb and tofu skin but it was too salty for me, which was great because while they were attacking the clay pot, I was inhaling the rest of the dishes. Now I really was wishing for my camera because I don't know the names of everything.

On the street level are restaurants that serve seafood, like you would find near Temple Street or on the islands. I will have to go there next but due to SB's seafood limitations I need to find a local seafood eater.

In the meantime I shall dream of a return to Bowrington Street.



picture from FEHD

Comments