Bushwhacking the Dragon's Back



The Dragon's Back is a ridge stretching from Wan Cham Shan to Shek O Peak, within Shek O Country Park. It has beautiful views of the craggy shorelines below and is not as tough to hike as the name hints at. It is part of the Hong Kong Trail, which stretches for 50 km in 8 stages. SB and I chose to do a short hike, as it was afternoon when we set out. We took a bus to an entrance to Shek O Park, which is the half way point of our hike from Quarry Bay to Shek O, located at the Tai Tam Gap. We walked past Mount Collinson, up the Dragon's Back, and to Shek O Peak, which is always very windy. SB went up there during the last blustery Typhoon, hoping to experience more nature than I care to.


What do you think of the bicycle trail on the right?

So far the walk was pleasantly uneventful but it quickly took a turn when we passed the peak and saw a small trail heading up into the brush. We found that it led to another marker like the one at Shek O Peak. Then SB noticed that there was a white cloth tied to a branch further down among some boulders. "It looks like a marker," he remarked. I did not budge so he said (mostly to himself), "let's go check it out."



I remained firmly on my rock but then he came back to excitedly share that it was indeed some sort of marker for a path leading down into the abyss. Against my will, I was coaxed into following my beloved down onto the rocks below. So much for a leisurely walk.


SB: Here, just put your leg on this rock and ease yourself down.


me: uh... I'm too short. I can't reach.
SB: nonsense. Really, just place your foot there.


me: I hate my life!


Finally, SB and I made it down the "trail." He mostly walked and jumped from ledge to ledge while I gracelessly scrambled, slipped, slid, and stretched my short little legs in hot pursuit of him. I wanted to be close to him so that in case I lost my footing I would take him out with me. He deserved no less. He later admitted that it was steeper than it seemed.



The best part was when we got to the road below and discovered that we had to climb down a ladder that had a sheet of metal welded to the bottom (probably to deter people like us). SB was able to hold onto the lower rungs and swing his legs onto the concrete edge of the water container down below. I was too short and had to dangle uncomfortably as I lowered myself. I also was not too happy that there was no sidewalk below, and if I fell I would be sprawled out on the road.

We hurried to the other side of the street and walked to a stairway that we had seen on our way down. I expected it to be a proper trail but was disheartened to find out that it was just a stairway leading down to the stream below, with no pedestrian easement. Again, SB went ahead to check it out while I sulked in the bushes.



The good great news was that the stream we were following was much, much less steep, and indeed, this path was downright pleasant. We followed the stream right into a small village, and then to Shek O beach.

Looking back on where we had started from (the rock on top of the peak)






Yay! End of trail!

In the end, I admitted to SB that I had a wonderful time. Getting to a beautiful destination makes one forget the hardship incurred on the way. If I had proper shoes on, and not the trainers I wore for the "easy" hike on Dragon's Back, I probably would have navigated the terrain with a bit more grace than I displayed. I would actually recommend this to anyone who wants a bit more of a challenge than the Hong Kong Trail. Just be careful when dangling over the road!

Comments