Things that catch your attention

When I was little I used to have a recurring nightmare about running from a huge fire, but being the slowest person in the mass of people trying to escape. I forgot about this nightmare but perhaps it subconsciously affected me because I went on to run cross country and track in high school.

The fires that were reported in Australia fixated me. I read in horror as the death toll has gone from 30 to 84 to over 100, to now over 170. But it is not just me, with my nightmares, that is paying attention. SB also came home from work and asked me if I had heard about the fires. It makes me so sad, and also very much more aware about the power of forces of nature. In this day and age I sometimes think that humans have found ways to control just about anything.

SB and I are unfamiliar with Australia, and this news caused us to pull up Google Earth and look over the maps of Victoria. We are aware of the fires that overtake homes in areas of Southern California, fueled by the changing winds, and wonder if this is also true with the fires in Victoria.

Most of all, we are saddened for the families that have lost precious lives quite suddenly.

Comments