recap, part 2: law and disorder


The Frenchies are growing on me. Our rugby team has so many of them and they are a hysterical, motley crew. I do not run in packs with other Americans, but I like that they run in a small herd. Our Frenchies band together with other countrymen for the Sevens and dress as the French Police, filling up the same spot in the top center of the South Stand on Saturdays. Of the countries that grace the stadium, the French and the Australians are hated only slightly more than the Americans. While the Americans get booed from a distance, the French and Australians are harassed up close. X, who reps the French team, tells me that the French understand that no matter what they do, they will be booed, so they just try to take it in humor, even dressing up in costume such as cocks, or cheese, to be in on the joke. At least their countrymen unite together to cheer them on.

So for another year, the gendarmerie of Wanchai stood in their usual posts and sang their anthems. SB and I were further down in the stands but we came up to say hello. In the five minutes that I stood with the Frenchies, I was hit by THREE full cups of beer as well as trash. I have to give my respect to the frenchies because they were good natured about it all. I thought that this was uncalled for but I guess it goes with the territory. The real police had to step in and stand close by when some classy folks in the South stands began trying to urinate in cups and throw them at the Frenchies. Luckily I was gone at this point. I heard that no urine actually hit anyone this year, and most importantly, their 4 kilos of cheese were unspoilt. Yes, I saw the sack containing 4 kilos of cheese and baguettes.

Our gendarmes very happily moved to Wanchai after the conclusion of Saturday rugby where they took over Carnegies, marched down Lockhart road, and concluded the evening with a Congo line in Lan Kwai Fong. When SB and I snuck away, they were seated in a line on the road, passing random party goers over their heads.



Comments