recap, part 3: my team

To end my rugby weekend recaps, I present my team: the Americans

They didn't do so well at all at the Sevens. One could say that they fell short of most expectations for another year in a row in Hong Kong. I am wishing them the best for Adelaide.


This man is Justin Boyd. He played for my university. When he joined the team, I remember seeing him (back then he was a lanky fellow with closely cropped hair) and thinking, oh my gawd, who is this guy?! He was so blazingly fast. I am relieved that he is a member of the Eagles because his performance shattered my belief that women's rugby would grow in talent to become more similar to the men's performance. Quite frankly, there was no women I could imagine who would ever perform like that, even the Olympic sprinter on the Papua New Guinea women's team. Thankfully I have discovered that there aren't really many men in the world who possess the skills of Justin. Whew.

I do, however, still hold onto my belief that the balls for women's rugby should be a size smaller. Playing with the same size as the men has advantages in being able to train with the men, but in a game I wish I could handle a ball like a man can. Instead, I have to hold on tightly with both hands. It prevents any and all creative, flicking, behind the back, etc. passes.

In my university, the women and men trained together often. There were a lot of people who felt that this would weaken the men. They were wrong. Both the women and men's teams are nationally ranked in the Sweet Sixteen.

But anyway, back to my tribute to Justin and the USA men's team




My heartbreak. Yes, folks, I actually wept at the final whistle. Pathetic but only SB saw

Comments