feeding frenzy

A year ago SB and I were discussing his lack of adventure in eating. He defended himself, explaining to me that during his last stay in Hong Kong, over ten years ago, he had eaten everything placed upon his plate with gusto. He ate chicken feet even though the bones looked much too eerily similar to the bones on his own hand. He ate a hairy crab and developed red, leopard like spots all over his body for a week that made everyone at work avoid him. He even ate some prehistoric looking sea crustacean that he had never seen before and thought that for all he knew, it may have been the last of its species. At the time I laughed but now the thought of him eating the last survivor from a time that preceded humans does not seem so far fetched.

Yesterday in the news I read about how some Filipino fisherman caught a strange looking, very large fish. Despite pleas from a wildlife officer, the men decided to eat the fish. It turned out to be a Megamouth shark. It has been tagged as "Megamouth 41," in reference to the fact that it is only the 41st Megamouth ever seen by humans since 1976.

I hope it was the best meal they ever ate.

Then I wondered to myself, didn't I read something similar to this last week? Oh yes, I did. Last week in the paper I read about how an unfamiliar bird was recently caught, sold for twenty cents, and promptly eaten. It was the Worcester’s Buttonquail, previously thought to be extinct.

I hope it was the best meal they ever ate.

It turned out that the "prehistoric creature" SB ate was a fairly common mantis prawn. At least he won't be on my shame list...this time.

Comments

Jennifer W said…
'Tis a real shame. I hope they all got sick and threw their guts up. Or at least had the best meal they ever ate.