light at the end

Yesterday's hike turned out to be a mostly miserable affair. Saturday seemed cool enough so SB and I loaded up on water and set off from Happy Valley to the Parkview, and then across Mount Butler to Quarry Bay. From there we went to Big Wave Bay.

About five minutes into the first impressive hill, I began to feel a trickle of sweat. By Mount Butler I was soaking wet and quite unhappy, making sure to squeak indignantly at SB as if it was his fault that I was so hot. I should have worn my dry-weave shirt but I somehow did not notice the humidity and wore a very, very lightweight cotton shirt. The shirt started out to be at waist length but by the end of the hike it was down to my hips and looking similarly to how I felt.

By Quarry Bay I had consumed all of my water and was trying to take SB's. I practically threw myself into the surf of Big Wave when we dragged our sorry selves over the last set of hills.

But here is where my story takes an amazing turn for the better:

As the sun was setting, I noticed some sort of blue glow under SB in the waves. At first I thought that the board he had borrowed had some sort of light but then I realized that the blue glow lit up the white water of the wave. Soon enough, there were more glowing waves. I pointed it out to some other people on the beach and they were as shocked and amazed as I was. No one had seen such a sight there before.

There were some concerns that the glowing lights were some sort of bio-hazard, but to me they looked very much like the bio-luminescent plankton that I saw in Farjado, Puerto Rico. I wonder if the plankton were what drew the humpback whale. SB doesn't buy my theory, pointing out that although this is the first time he has seen a whale or glowing plankton in the water, correlation is not causation.

Anyway, I hope the plankton stick around for a bit longer and more people can see the beautiful blue glow in the waves.

Comments

Jennifer W said…
Did you watch that television show Invasion a few years back? Keep an eye on SB... if he starts wanting to take a lot of baths or breathes underwater please, get out.
ulaca said…
"... correlation is not causation."

You must love it when your hubby taks dirty!