Sleeping through

I have some strange bedroom behavior. No, I'm not talking about that stuff. That will stay under cover, thank you very much.

What I'm referring to is my sleep behavior. I have two very distinct sleep patterns, depending on how tired I am and how much stress I have encountered. When I am moderately tired and with lower stress (most nights) I can go to sleep and wake up in the same position. When I lived alone, I could make my bed in under a minute because all it involved was straightening the top sheet and duvet, and fluffing the pillow where I had left my impression. I was such a still sleeper that a former roommate once felt compelled to check to see if I was breathing. I woke up with her leaning over me, trying to ascertain that there was a pulse. When I am under loads of stress and haven't slept well, I have very animated sleep. I talk, move about, sometimes even sleepwalk.

SB and I have been together for several years. Several loooong years of obliviousness, or is that oblivion? Anyway, a few days ago when we woke up he had a story for me. He got up in the middle of the night to "drop the Browns off at the Superbowl" and heard me say something to him as walked out of the bedroom. Then when he came back, we had a bit of small talk. At some point into the conversation I turned to him and asked, "where are we?" That is when he figured out that I was not really awake. Just to make sure, he asked me, "you're not really awake, are you?" Way to go, Captain Obvious.

So now he has finally figured out that I sleepwalk and hold conversations in my sleep. I wondered if I really had never done this before in our relationship, when I recalled an incident that happened around the time I moved to Hong Kong. We were going to bed and I asked him a question about something mundane. His reaction was strange. He told me that he didn't like to have "big conversations" when he was about to go to sleep. I was confused at what he meant by this. Was picking up the laundry more complicated than it seemed? Now I wonder if he had been the recipient of a "big conversation" with me when I was unconscious. I have been told by the roommates and others who have witnessed by sleepwalking that I am at first seemingly normal, but within a few minutes it becomes clear that I am incoherent. Except if you are SB, my freaking life partner, who is supposed to know me very well by now. But he thinks all women are crazy.

He also said that he was upset that he missed his chance to get in a few subliminal messages. He has since told me that he wishes he had responded to my question about where we were with "in a boxcar, free falling off the side of a cliff." Last night he checked up on me but I was in my deep sleep, completely silent and unmoving. He even threw his leg over me for good measure but I didn't budge. Eventually I woke up while he was asleep and rolled him off me. Then I went back to my coma.

Comments