and now back to the regularly scheduled program

I am so disconnected from reality that I felt fortunate to be leaving work at 9:30 tonight, as though I was leaving early. After this last round of late nighters, it is early.

And my, how the tables have turned. After months of seeing my hungry and happy face outside his office at lunchtime, he is now the one to have to trek across town to have dinner with me and then send me back up to the office while he goes home. I relish my dinner time break with him.

Tonight I could not even begin to think of where I wanted to eat- another reversal of fortune for us. Usually I am rattling off a list of possibilities while SB sits there in a daze. He tried to take over the decision making but only got as far as repeating two restaurants...which he happened to be standing in front of. Finally, we decided on Japanese. It was perfect. It was just what I needed. We sat in a dimly lit, enclosed space and all the visual and audio pollution seemed to evaporate behind the curtain at the door.

SB had ramen and I had bonito and a soothing miso soup. Instead of our usual quick witted banter, he had a to take over the conversation. For the next hour he told me about places in China that he wanted to take me to, describing how it was like for him when he first went over ten years ago. I sat in silence taking it all in: the descriptions of the streets and bridges that he remembered, the way people pour tea in Yunan, the sights and smells.

As I was chewing on a piece of mochi, he suddenly looked up. "You have beautiful eyes," he said. I had to take a few moments to swallow the sticky concoction before replying. "Um, thanks. Don't we have the same eyes?" He smiled widely. "Yes."

We both have light brown/yellow centers with green rings in our eyes. They are usually the exact same color but once in a while mine are greener. Since we discovered this, he is very happy to compliment my eyes, and thus his own.



Oh yes, and now back to the retelling of my busy weeks. So before the massage, I lost my libido. It is another example of the tables turning. Until I got my job I could count on one hand how many times SB initiated sexy time. He always claimed that he would have initiated more but I never gave him the chance. Now that I am a half delirious zombie with no sleep, sex is the last thing on my mind sometimes. After a particularly brutal week, I had finally passed out cold on Saturday night. I vaguely recall SB romantically suggesting that he could get me "in the wrapper." I may have been asleep before I could even respond. I woke up at some time in the late morning on Sunday to find SB shaking me. There is nothing more romantic than waking up with shaken baby syndrome. I tried to hide under my pillow as he proceeded to annoy me into waking up.

When it became apparent that I was not getting out of bed, he crawled in with me. "So how about a rogering," he offered. Yes, that's my man, Casanova. He is so suave. The only thing more romantic than that was my response. "I guess so. Do I have to be awake?"

"I guess not," he replied. "Good. Then I'm going to lay here like a starfish."

Okay people, let me defend myself. Once upon a time a few years ago I was a very busy grad student. I was also crazy about my boyfriend (still am). I used to rush home during my hour long lunch break to get him in the sack (he was unemployed at the time). Sometimes during the week I would wake up and want some cuddling. Like I said, he is NOT a morning person. What ended up happening was that he would allow me to have my way with him while he was still groggy and later in the day he could get his. And I could get mine again. Yes!

So it is only fair that I return the favor. Except he cheated and tickled me awake. Apparently sex is better when it is with a conscious person. I was never so picky.

Comments