Eddy Gate



Eddy Gate used to be the main entrance to Cornell, situated before one crossed over the Cascadilla gorge. I had the rare experience of entering Cornell through this gate every day in my first year because I lived nearby. I have mentioned before that I found it interesting that Cornell's physical features match the educational reputation perfectly (and I'm not referring to the jumpers). There was little that was more intimidating yet exhilarating than having your first glimpse of this venerable school achieved by first trudging up a very steep hill, entering through an imposing gate, crossing over a beautiful and deep gorge, crossing the campus to the original arts quad, and discovering that the architecture building was the white domed masonry structure perched across the arts quad on the other gorge that flanked the university.

Eddy Gate has an inscription that I read over and over again. It reminded me to be better than I was.

So enter
that daily thou mayest become
more learned and thoughtful.

So depart
that daily thou mayest become
more useful to thy country and
to mankind.

Comments