sawatdee-kapow!

After a very strenuous week (story to follow in reverse chronological order) I needed a massage. It was practically all I could think about after I wrapped up my last review on Saturday and dragged myself home. My shoulders were hunched and I could feel a large lump where the muscle behind my shoulder blade was.

After initial resistance, SB decided to go with me for his first massage. I have not had a lot of massages and they have varied from being awesome to weak (the masseur seemed to be afraid of me and proceeded to pat me for the next 45 minutes no matter how many times I told him that he could use more pressure). I had never experienced a Thai massage, and after the other places told me that they were all booked, I decided to try something new.

With SB in tow I went to a place recommended by a friend and signed on for a 45 minute session. I almost went for the longer one but decided that I would ease into this new experience. A few minutes later, SB and I were laying next to each other in a very dark room. "Do you suppose they do happy endings?" he asked as I tried to reach over and thump him before the ladies came in. For the longest 45 minutes of my life, the diminutive woman who was working on me proceeded to mince me into hamburger meat. I was really getting my money's worth as she flattened, stretched, and pounded my muscles into submission. The only part that I wasn't too fond of was when she went over my legs because they were still sore from the rugby match a week before (probably too much lactic acid build-up) and it was excruciating when she applied her iron grip on them.

Afterward, SB was very silent. I finally asked him how it went. "I think she stepped on me," he replied. Well, yes. That is part of the Thai massage. "And then I thought we were going to die when she got behind me and flipped me over her body." I tried to avoid eye contact. I had been hoisted backward over my masseuse's body just moments earlier and had waited for it to happen to him so that I could giggle as he flailed his arms like a grouse trying to take flight. Actually, considering his size, I shall compare him to a turkey. He was a flapping turkey. I undid a lot of the massage by shaking violently with suppressed laughter.

Poor SB. His delicate and soft body was abused terribly and I do not think that he will be racing for his second ever massage any time soon. I have suggested that maybe we will try out the foot massages until I can locate one with a gentle touch for my big softy. In the meantime, my shoulders are sore, but in a good way. She worked out most of the kinks so that I can start fresh at destroying my posture through long hours hunched in front of my computer.

Comments

Jennifer W said…
I have never had a real massage but I am terrified one of these things will happen! I am very particular about the pressure applied to any part of me. Do it wrong and I knot up ridiculously bad. If you find a good one maybe I'll have to fly to Hong Kong just to go with you. Good excuse as any.