a helping hand

Over the time that I have been in HK I have been adamant that we are not getting a maid. Although my family did have maids when my sister and I were little, our mother stopped employing domestic helpers when we were old enough to look after ourselves. Since then I have been very proud of my self sufficiency. I could cook by the time I was 12. I began working part time when I was 16 because I got into a car accident and my parents believed that I should take care of the repair costs. Aside from learning about responsibility and stewardship of the family car, I discovered that I enjoyed the financial independence of having a job and I continued my job until I was 18 and went to university. I have also lived by myself since the end of my freshman year of uni. But this is what I arrived home to after only six days away:



Seriously, a jock strap hanging to dry on our dining room chairs?! Oh, and he was sent straight to the groomers, too. He went rather willingly after I made it clear that no nookie was going to happen with that helmet on his head and dead animal glued to his chin.

So now I am starting to come around to having a maid. With my 60+ hour work weeks I just don't have the energy to take on domestic work also.

SB saw the look of defeat on my face and quickly got around to looking for helper advice online. He also came across an interesting article about domestic worker abuse in Hong Kong. He read aloud one of the responses to the article to me, in which the author basically said that he didn't see why helper abuse was even being touched upon since there were far more compelling issues to report on. And besides, it was hardly happening in HK. This author shared that he gave his worker the FULL minimum amount of days off. Oh, gee. How awfully generous of you to give your helper the minimum amount of relief required by law and then pat yourself on the back for it. It made me wonder what the helper's days would have looked like if this generous individual did not have the law instructing him to let her take a few days off. Anyone slightly less indulgent than Mr. Generous and his minimum required relief would then be unlawful, now wouldn't he?

Comments

Jennifer W said…
I grew up in a pigsty so now I keep a really clean house. I don't like people who are so lazy, or think they are so above someone else that they have that someone clean their dirty house. But alas, I hate cleaning toilets and my dusty base boards just will not clean themselves. I'm thinking of having someone every two weeks just come do a deep clean. And hey, the economy here sucks ass so I would be helping out another working person like myself right? Your SB is kind of cute even in a dirty way.
ulaca said…
I was dead against having a servant living with us, but after 30 minutes I'd come around to the idea. 12 years later ...

Ask friends who have helpers and see if you can get one through the flipper grapevine. Married and experienced are best. One might just be coming to the end of her contract and seeking a more human employer.