things I do when I cannot sleep

I have mentioned my propensity for night crawling. Not one to be left out, SB met me outside of my office the other night so that he could take part in my wanderings. We had dinner at a dai pai dong and then set off into the nearby neighborhood. We came upon the older part of Wanchai and proceeded to poke around the homes. It was very quiet and slightly eerie with a mix of junk and relics littering the dimly lit streets. Due to lack of air conditioning, the homes were very open, with tall doors and windows thrown open so that the two of us could easily nose around and peek in.

I was taken with the tall ceilings, large openings, and porches of the old buildings and wondered how it might be to live there until some of my coworkers informed me that those homes don't have toilets or running water. Er, never mind. Suddenly the romance was dead.

But you must admit, these places have character! And I don't mean that character who is with me.



We managed to walk as far as Central before the heat was too much. As we were cooling down with cones of ice cream I caught this "bicycle" formed by two rings on a nearby pole.


Comments

LottieP said…
What a great picture. Hong Kong is a different place at night, especially in the back streets.