Double Trouble

So I had this friend in uni who wasn't the nicest guy but somehow we got along fine. He was just an ogre and all the girls on my rugby team despised him for good reason. He even made a few of them cry at training when we had combined drills. But I liked him, even though I was well aware that he kinda sucked. He was always honest with me, even saying unflattering things to me about how I wasn't very feminine but he also admitted that he was not nice to girls and probably only liked me because I wasn't very feminine. I somehow managed to balance not girly with not trying to be a boy either. He liked that I could talk about things that interested him instead of whatever he imagined women talked about. And I could tell him that he sucked and he agreed. He grew up in a very tough neighborhood and had gunshot scars to prove it. I had never met anyone like him. He eventually got his degree in civil engineering and went to work on an oil rig where no one cared that he had been to prison because they had all been also. And I said prison, not jail.

Anyway, a few years later I was shocked speechless when I heard that he got married. And his wife is certainly no tomboy. She is a sharp witted beauty queen who isn't afraid to stand up to him and tell him if he's being a donkey. And he practically kneels before her, which is more than I ever could have hoped for. But this doesn't mean that he's become nice to other women.

This year I found out that they were expecting. She has two rowdy boys from previous relationships and I know he was very excited to have another boy to add to the small football team he was assembling. Tell me if you can guess where I'm going with this.

If you guessed that she gave birth to a girl, you are partially correct. If you guessed that they now have twin redheaded princesses then pat yourself on the back. I have spent the past week looking at their pictures on facebook and giggling. As it turns out, he is quite smitten with his daughters but he also is aware that there are a lot of women having a good laugh over this.

Comments