What were they thinking?

When I read this article my jaw dropped. To present the story briefly, a school in the United States issued free laptop computers to students for better collaboration among the students during projects. A fact unknown to the students or their parents was that the school administration was remotely activating the webcams attached to the laptops to monitor the students. This was only found out when a student was disciplined for behavior that occurred outside of the school premises and the evidence was a photograph taken of him from his laptop webcam.

I have soooo many questions to ask these school administrators, beginning with "What were you thinking?!" These MINORS were being spied on in their own homes and everything they did in front of the open laptop was under scrutiny. Everything. How many of these kids had the laptop in their bedrooms? And how did the administrators think this would end? They had to know that this would make them look like jackasses when it came out, at the very least. I cringe to imagine what someone would see if someone was able to record me through my open laptop.

Comments