There's this woman....

Her name is Hilary Mantel. She is a Man Booker Prize-winning novelist. She wrote Wolf Hall, which is an intriguing (or at least filled with intrigue) historical novel about the earlier years of Thomas Cromwell as he was ascending to power. She seems to have a keen intellect.

She recently gave an interview and asserted her belief that society was structured in a patriarchal fashion (I'm with her) and certain norms imposed on women are harmful (yup, I agree), and then she started to discuss how men are forcing women to be on their timetable of reproduction because women really are ready to have babies at the age of 14.

Whaaaaaat?! Wait, what? Has she forgotten what it was like to be a teenager. Because when I look back on myself I also think of how much more mature I was compared to kids now. Except that I wasn't. I just tend to gloss over the parts that remind me that I couldn't even operate a car or navigate a map much less raise a baby.

Comments