How did I even have a chance?

I was raised by parents who were deeply devoted to an institution that is prejudiced, self righteous, ludicrously unaware, and hegemonic. My mother's devotion waned considerably in my late teens when she went to university and got herself educated. My father still goes to church alone every week and takes every opportunity that he has to make feel feel rotten about not doing what he tells me to. I know that he is blinded by religion but I sometimes get frustrated with him. Especially when this kind of thing happens:

According to Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone: "Many psychologists and psychiatrists have demonstrated that there is no relation between celibacy and pedophilia. But many others have demonstrated, I have been told recently, that there is a relation between homosexuality and pedophilia. That is true. That is the problem."

How did I turn out so normal when I was raised under these kinds of truths?

Comments