(Ice) Hockey in Hong Kong

SB's team won their playoff in a nail biting overtime.  To add to SB's joy was the fact the the former captain of the Princeton team, who had recently retired his professional career, was the star of the opposing team.  Princeton was very similar statistically to Cornell in both hockey and lacrosse and there was a lot of rivalry with Cornell just barely bypassing Princeton in both sports.  Cornell fans liked to cheer "Princeton's in New Jersey," at the opposition.

SB played lacrosse for his university but he always wished that he had played hockey instead.  More than a few of his teammates have commented to me that it is a shame that SB did not learn ice hockey until he was a teenager because he had the raw talent and even now in his late 30's is a menace on ice.  I hope they don't tell SB this too much because I think that he regrets this also, and more than they know.

I enjoy watching him play because he gets so much out of playing.  He loves this sport and always eagerly awaits my critique of his play, always looking to improve.  "Don't let Princeton get you on your back foot," I told him before the match, "you need to stay on your toes and keep some momentum."  And he did just that.  "Remember that you have some time so don't rush the pass," I cautioned, and he did that, too.  He had a spectacular game, made even more so by the quick changes he had to make because this team was full of speed whereas the semifinal team played a much more physical game which SB excels at. 

Their game was even shown on the local television sports show.  It also shows me looking bored out of my noggin.  I tried to explain that I was not bored but trying to temper down my jubilation because the girl next to me was cheering for her boyfriend on the losing team and I didn't want to seem like I was rubbing it in.  Instead I just looked disinterested.


 

Comments