The best chocolate in Hong Kong

Yes, that's quite a proclamation. Here in Happy Valley I have been buying deeelicious chocolate from a newly opened chocolate store located on Yuen Yuen Street, right off Sing Woo. They are the local outlet of Goossens Chocolatier.

The inside of the store is decorated with pictures of the Belgian royalty who apparently love this chocolate. The owner of the store told me that with enough humor that I think he realized how unimpressed I was by this news in comparison to the chocolate. "Chinese people like to see the pictures," he said by way of explanation.

This man has it right. He is bringing fabulously delicious chocolate for his fellow Hongkies and I liked him because he was remarkably well informed about chocolate so I learned a few things as well as he had achieved the rare feat of balancing being helpful without pushy.

SB had his first truffle. "What is this," he asked, "this is delicious." "It's a truffle," I responded, "It's my favorite form of chocolate." Then I reminded him that I had been telling him this for the past three years. And then I watched him snarf down the rest of my favorite chocolate and promptly break out into a sweat, which he does when he eats really spicy food or really dark chocolate.

I didn't have long to sulk because I found a lightly gingered delicacy that caused my taste buds to break into song.

Visit them at http://www.goossens.com.hk/

This is the owner and one of the Goossens. (Source)

Comments