The secret sign

What is up with acorns?

My aunt and uncle's country club has a pair or enormous stone acorn finials perched on top of the enormous stone posts that flank the tree lined entrance.  I often had the perverse urge to take an oversized bat to them (I should have predicted that I would grow up to be a low key architect).  When I lived in Florida, I used to see many acorns adorning fences and fountains of the sprawling estates that I jogged past with my cross country team.  It seems that people of a certain income bracket must have acorns, and the bigger the better.  Acorns are more subtle than gilding everything or hanging paintings of your AKC registered pet, but they are definitely present.





I wondered if acorns were some secret symbol of the elite, like masonic pyramids and eyeballs and whatever else is being presented by conspiracy theorists.

Being a highly skilled academic...oh wait, I am now a hard working slave of capitalism with no free time on my hands to spend hours trolling in the stacks of 6 million+ books at my beloved university.  So this is what I found out on Google:

According to Wikipedia:  Acorns appear only on adult trees, and thus are often a symbol of patience and the fruition of long, hard labor. For example, an English proverb states that Great oaks from little acorns grow, urging the listener to wait for maturation of a project or idea. 

According to Wikia (Wikipedia's philosophical cousin): The acorn is the seed of the mighty oak tree; therefore, it symbolizes potential and strength.   This is also a Nordic and Celtic symbol of life, fertility, and immortality.   Many Druids consumed acorns, believing them to have prophetic qualities. The acorn was sacred to the god Thor. His Tree of Life was oak.

The acorn as a heraldic symbol indicates independence to its bearer. Sometimes, an acorn sprig is used as a crest.

And About.com  says a bit more than the rest about how the acorn is a symbol of strength and power.

So there you have it.

But I will leave you with one more symbol of strength and power:

Ah, yes.  Can you smell it?

Comments

Jennifer W said…
Ah the rich and their acorns. What's the equivalent for us poor folk? Sunflower seeds maybe? (Can't wait to get my hands on some Fancy Nights so maybe I can start having Fancy Nights.
Gweipo said…
I'm afraid to me acorns resemble nothing so much as a circumcised you know what...