another ordinary day with a tweak

Early in the year two more people joined my studio.  I had lunch with them a few times but they eventually left our lunch group, as we all were female and they were not.  It had much less to do with gender than lunchtime conversation.  My lunch group usually discusses the recent marriage of H or the upcoming wedding of B.  H was entering her mid-30's at the time she was married and had always lived with her mother so it made for hilarious tales of horrifying discoveries of the way her husband really lives as well as struggles in trying not to want to move back in with her mother who cooks and cleans and likes to go shopping.  B got engaged before even going on a first date with a man who swept her off her feet and is now trying to do things in their "natural" order to please their parents while still continuing with the organic development of her unusual and exciting relationship.  So our lunch time is usually taken up with relationship talk.  Don't get me wrong- I enjoy these discussions immensely and laugh all the way through lunch most of the time but once in a while change is good.

Today I found myself going to lunch with the two guys.  We sat down and got caught up in sports and technology talk.  Eventually our conversation turned to a discussion over cameras.  I have been researching and comparing the Nikon D90 with the Cannon EOS 50D.  The benefits of the Canon are matched by the reasonable pricing of the Nikon.  We went back and forth on the merits of each and found ourselves in a camera store on the way back from the restaurant.  SB is not really into techie things so I was stoked to find two friends who could give informed opinions for me to consider.  After seven months of stalking the camera stores I feel like I will make my move and buy a camera.  It is a large investment for me but I have been ready to make that upgrade from my SLR to a DSLR.  Yes, that's right.  My good camera still uses film although it's not so good with the light leak it recently sprung.  And my point and shoot that I bought before moving to Italy in 2006 will still do its job but I want something more. 

My ordinary day became so much better as I had the end of the day to look forward to when we planned to check out a few camera stores and flesh out a good deal. 

Oh yes, and one of them also agrees with me that the Suburu WRX is one of the best cars to ever be released to the general public. 

Comments

Jennifer W said…
I have a Nikon D60 and am continually more impressed with the Canon's each time I see my friends pictures than I am with any Nikon. From what I can tell Canon's are far superb with low light conditions, which is really important to someone who hates using the flash, which should be everybody.
ulaca said…
I've used the EOS 50D for a year and no complaints. J.W. is right - excellent in low light. Rather than getting the kit lens, I recommend splashing out on the EF-S 17-55mm, as it's far superior to the EF-S 18-55mm, giving much better definition at the sides (important for portraits).