Louise

Louise Bourgeois.  The Times has a worthy piece about her here.

Familiar, yet disembodied, her art evoked nostalgia, recognition, fear, awe, comfort, discomfort...Unheimliche.

The postcard of her exhibit that I bought in the bookstore of Dia Beacon lies pressed between my underwater photographs and essays on fragmentation and mirrors in my 2006 sketchbook.  It is one of my prized possessions because of the wonderful memories that I can instantly conjure when I open the pages.  That day I also stared at my reflection in Gerhard Richter's Six Gray Mirrors No. 884/1-6 until I dematerialized and watched a rather well known photographer fall into a frenzied rapture in Richard Serra's Torqued Ellipses that resulted in him banging against them while security ran around trying to find the cause of the clamor.  But for the Maman I had the whole room to myself, just her and me. 



Comments