We have arrived

More Americans play football soccer growing up than any other sport and yet we are not seen as a contender to the scene.  Granted, you don't see American teenagers passing the ball around in schoolyards and parks like the South Americans (I was mesmerized by the skill displayed by the average Argentine when I was in Buenos Aires) and we certainly don't light things on fire when our team loses but we have love for the game. And our soccer moms are as fierce as any football hooligan.

I wondered if making it to the next round would bring us any more respect even though we lost to the same team that beat us last time.  At least we lost in overtime!

Then I read the stories of lousy refereeing and saw the American-Slovenian game was included in the roll call.  And then a woman in the UK is claiming to be carrying Landon Donovan's love child.  And I know what this means: we have arrived.

Comments