Women's Rugby World Cup

I have three laptops running.  One is connected to our new television live streaming the free matches at http://www.rwcwomens.com, one is showing the live blogging from a friend watching the USA matches (they are not being shown) and one I use to chat with my equally excited friends. 

I admit it; I have lost my damn mind.  I don't care.  I have waited for a long time to see women playing world class rugby, representing their countries in a bona fide stadium and acknowledged as the athletes that they are.  Fellow Texas Aggie Stacey Bridges is 18 years old and making her world cup debut for USA.  New Zealand's Anna Richards is 44.  Wales' Non Evans made history by competing in two different sports at the Commonwealth Games, judo and weightlifting, and won two silver medals in judo.  One of the South African ladies' mother played in the previous world cup (Portia Jonga I think?)

These women, unlike their male counterparts, do not make a living playing rugby.  Ruth McKay (NZ) is a head shepherd, Phaidra Knight (USA) is an attorney and sports trainer, and Evans peddles pharmaceuticals.

When Ireland sang their anthem preceding the match against England, I admit to shedding a tear.  I sat alone in the flat and was overcome with so many emotions.  I was prevented from crying for Australia because they were tone deaf and I ended up giggling over their enthusiastic bellowing.  Maybe some anthems are easier to sing than others.  By the time you hit the rockets' red glare in the Star Spangled Banner all hope is lost of ever bringing your shriek under control.  So I end this post with a homage to the Irish lasses who made me recall that for many, many, many years we have been struggling to promote sports and sportsmanship among women and sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel truly does shine brightly- as bright as the smiles on the faces of the women who were honored to play in the 2010 Women's Rugby World Cup.

Hearts of steel
And heads unbowing
Vowing never to be broken
We will fight, until
We can fight no more
From the four proud provinces of Ireland

Ireland, Ireland
Together standing tall
Shoulder to shoulder
We'll answer Ireland's call

Comments