cultural norms for the fat bottomed girls

While perusing Iva Skoch's Wanderlust section for the Global Post my gaze was drawn to a mural that was painted in Tanzania as a pictorial sexual education service announcement.  Rather than words or photographs, the murals have caught on with the public as an effective way to relate sexual health to the general public.  The picture I liked the most was this one:


“The one where the guy is staring at the girl with the big butt,” she says and stretches her arms three feet wide. The mural shows a couple walking down the street with the man turned around to check out another woman who is noticeably more gifted from behind. The sign above them says, roughly translated from Swahili: “Be happy with what you’ve got.”
 
I am tickled with how perceptions of beauty vary greatly among different cultures.  And I am contemplating a move to Tanzania.  
In defense of western culture, my bubble butt has garnered its share of unsolicited praise over the years throughout my time in the US and Italy.  I have no idea what the HK people think probably because I am no longer a single gal in my 20's and taking photographs of my posterior is frowned upon in more mature social groups.

Comments

Joyce Lau said…
I love this.
Unfortunately, your bubble butt would probably go unnoticed and unappreciated by 90% of the men in Hong Kong, where skinny, skinny, skinny is en vogue.
My Chinese girlfriends and I (who are all pretty petite and non-buxom by Western standards) are always being told by salesgirls how "big" we are. One of my friends -- maybe 5'3" and 120-ish lbs -- was told to go to a "plus size" section of a Japanese department store. And she has no butt to speak of.