passive aggressive internal dialogue

I worked overnight on Wednesday so SB had to fend for himself.  85% of the time this means that he cooks himself a package of refrigerated tortellini in a soup of chicken stock.  I was able to ascertain what he had for dinner because the bowl was sitting on the dining table when I returned home.  On Thursday night I washed out the pot that he had cooked dinner in and proceeded with the evening's fare.  As I set the table I saw his bowl, spoon and drinking glass on the table but left it for him to pick up.  We had dinner with an extra setting of dirty dishes to the side.  I cleared the table, except for his dirty dishes from Wednesday night.  Last night the dishes remained while we ate curry.  "Hey look, it's your dishes from Wednesday," I pointed out helpfully.

It is now Saturday afternoon and we have finished lunch with our extra place setting.  I feel like if we continue to have an extra dinner companion we should give him a name.  Or he could wash the damn dishes.  I have debated with myself over just cleaning them up but now I am holding out based on principle, whatever that may be.  My internal voice tells me to just suck it up but I want to hold out this time even if it is much more difficult to force him to clean up after himself.

internal voice: just pick up the dishes. 
me: no, he needs to wash them.

internal voice: but you always wash the dishes
me: exactly, but the least he can do is clear the table
internal voice: he doesn't care and he won't remember
me: yes he will.
internal voice: how many times have you told him to clear his dishes
me: *sigh*

I don't get it.  We are feminists.  How did I end up doing the majority of the housework?  What happened to all the equality that both of us believe strongly in?

Comments

Anonymous said…
I can tell you My Dear from an old lady's experience, those dishes will probably sit there until they are petrified. LOL. Now it sounds like it has become a war of wills. You can ask him if he ever intends to put the dishes in the sink, explain to him that when he cooks for himself he can clean up after himself, or, as you say, suck it up and just do them. Personally I would choose both of the former suggestions. Good luck.
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gweipo said…
I don't know if you're married or not, but I have a dishwasher as a requisite to remaining together in my prenup...
it's the only way forward.