the sun also rises

For the first time in my life I stumbled out of a bar in Wanchai to full sunlight.  It was also the first time for me to enter the fabled establishments of the Bridge and Old China Hand.  What have I become?

I will blame SB for this even though he is on the other side of the planet.  It was his phone call that sent me over the edge. I worked over most of the holiday for the grinch while he was drinking eggnog in flannel pants with his niece and nephews and watching snow fall all around him.  I was going to miss the festivities altogether knowing that they would be rather blue over here in overtime-land but something inside of me just snapped and I decided that I needed a good cheering up.

By 10pm I was outside of Carnage with my dear co-conspirator, T and a lively band of rugby players.  From there the evening took a turn into another dimension.  Aided by the warm glow of cider our merry band began to grow.  People came and went.  T disappeared with a holiday present that had presented herself to us but was replaced by J, who I had really not talked to until that evening.  J turned out to have good humor because I more than once exclaimed to him that I was shocked at his intelligence.  I am cringing right now just thinking of what an ass I was.  "Yes, I'm an intelligent c*nt," he kept assuring me.  Turns out that this hulking, professional rugby player is also a Jazz musician.  Such a cultured c*nt to boot! (More cringing by me)

Then we were joined by A, who used to date J, and instead of fireworks they were very pleasant to each other.  Even as he left with a woman who looked straight out of one of those devil-metal rock videos.  I practically expected her to have a forked tongue.  Fascinating, was all I could keep repeating as this woman who had met all of us just five minutes previously revealed where three of her piercings and two tattoos were located.  She stopped traffic.  A probably wasn't too upset at this because she was now wrapped around a total stranger, except that he wasn't.  He was B, a fellow ice hockey player of SB who had come over to say hello to me and ended up against the side of the wall with a woman almost as tall as him.  Sorry for all the initials but I have to maintain some privacy for these individuals.

Somewhere along the way we ended up at Dusk til Dawn having added an actor and two other women to the group.  This is the only bad part of the night.  I paid for a beer with $500 and the change never came back.  I asked my waitress for it and she said she would be right back and then that was the last I saw of her for the rest of the time we were there.  I guess she was hoping that I was too drunk to remember.  As we left the bar I found her and told her to enjoy her Christmas present.  I will not be spending any money at Dusk til Dawn again.  This is the first time it has happened to me but some of the other rugby boys have told me that the waitresses there steal, but only after 2am.

But back to the story.  I figured that it was sufficiently late so that I could see what the Bridge was all about. It was...sketchy.  Nice waitstaff, friendly people, but all the patrons looked like desperate, single people trying desperately to find other desperate, single people to grab a hold of before the night ended.  I figured a few drinks would make this spectacle go away but they did not so on to Old China Hand we went.  I think there were only five other people in the whole bar so our group more than double their numbers.  We ordered several rounds of shots and the waitress/bartender was very accommodating to our large group.  At this point I was feeling no pain.  I was also feeling very benevolent because she absolutely could have taken advantage of me but didn't so she got a tip to match the one that the other girl stole.  And then I threw open the doors to bright sunlight, gasped in horror, and scampered home.

A very merry Christmas to you all!

Comments