Can right-wing hate talk lead to murder?

With our 20/20 hindsight we can look back onto this Salon article from over a year ago and locate all the warning sirens and flashing lights.  Chilling words from Joan Walsh in 2009: "If I were a marginal, unemployed, angry, racist white man right now, I'd be hearing a lot of mainstream conservative support for my point of view. Can that help create a climate for more violence? I don't know. I hope not, but I don't know."

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/joan_walsh/politics/2009/06/10/von_brunn

I thought it was interesting that a right wing senator commented that he would continue business as usual and not let the attack on Gabrielle Giffords change his routine or cause him to worry.  Well of course you shouldn't have a reason to worry; it seems as though all of the attacks and death threats are coming from within your party and from the far right.

I grew up as a staunch Republican but after all of the hate mongering in the last ten years I could not stomach it anymore.  I feel that I should put it out there while I state my opinion.  I am not neutral on this subject.  With each passing day I grow more liberal.




Comments

ulaca said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
ulaca said…
What's your stance on handgun ownership? Most Americans I know, Dem or Rep, don't seem to want to ban/control ownership.
Hailey said…
It seems to me that everyone's just getting angrier and angrier. I remember when I was younger and the adults all talked about politics at the dinner table. They'd disagree, but there was always mutual respect. I don't see any respect anymore.