camera advice

SB bought me the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens for my 50D camera.  I needed something better for my night, action pictures and this is probably that and more.  I tried to use it for the first time this weekend to mixed results.

I wish that I hadn't deleted the images so someone could walk me through it.  Basically, I had issues focusing.  When I did get a focused subject, the rest of the shot was too contrasted or blurred.  I tried looking it up and wonder if the blurred background was caused by using f3.

I then read more and it seemed that I may need to close the aperture to around f5.6-7.1 to get a uniform depth but that means lowering the shutter speed more than I think I should.  From there the only way to shorten the shutter speed is by increasing the ISO but I think that I was at 3200 already so... difficult call.

I  do not want to use a monopod if possible.  Does anyone out there have any advice on settings to use for a nighttime rugby match?

Comments

Spike said…
Here's the deal: the more open the aperture, the shallower the depth of field. f/2.8 means that a range of just a few inches are in focus; f/22 means everything is in focus, more or less.

Exposure is a magic triangle of ISO, aperture and shutter speed. All 3 work together, each affects different aspects of the photo.

For sports, you're gonna want to be shooting at least 1/125th of a second and faster - even 1/125th is going to have some blur. Go for the highest ISO you can - depending on your camera you may not get acceptable results beyond 400 or you may get acceptable results at 6400.

Test, test, test. Try every combination to find what works. Get as close to the action as you can. If the field is well-lit, you should be okay.

spikesphotos.com