Carl Sagan to the Explorer's Club

Carl Sagan's house was a source of interest and intrigue for many Cornellians including yours truly.  Since his passing his house has remained unoccupied and unvisited except for a time in 2007 when someone entered the property to install a better security system.  I know this because I passed the house every day during my evening run.

The house is located on the precipice of the Fall Creek gorge and from what I could discern, is built in a Greek style very much resembling a temple but with very few windows, thus adding to the intrigue.  I often wondered about a connection to the Delphic temple and Sagan's house.  He was a modern day oracle in many ways.  There was even a rumor that an adyton in the house led to the gorge below similar to the one at Delphi but I have trespassed hiked great portions of the gorge below and though I found Ezra Cornell's tunnel, I never found any opening that led to Sagan's house.

I want to share a letter that Sagan wrote to the Explorer's Club in 1981 requesting that women be admitted to the organization.  He reminded his club that Sacajewea guided Lewis and Clark to glory and that many women have since trial-blazed down the path of historic research and discovery as well as lifted off into space.

You may find the letter here:
http://www.lettersofnote.com/2011/03/if-membership-is-restricted-to-men-loss.html

Comments