Spear and magic helmet

Yesterday SB sang to me the whole What's Opera, Doc with amazingly accurate depictions of both Bugs and Elmer.  This was after I caught him watching the reel on Youtube instead of writing a business plan that is due in two days. 

That is a section of my life with him.  Welcome to life with ADHD boy.  Of course an episode of ADHD boy wouldn't be complete without Type A girl.   In our own weird way we are two complements to each other.  He is often running about, engaged in adventures while I am more than happy to be his mini-me sidekick.  I am a problem solver and he is a, er, problem creator.  Without him my life would not be as rich, nor my stories as colorful.  Without me he would never arrive at anywhere that he wanted to go.

I still get a good laugh when I think about his sister telling me that when SB was born he was deprived of oxygen for a few minutes and his family thought that it may have been the reason for his short attention span.  "Did you ever think that maybe he has ADHD?" I asked.  He's damn smart so I imagined that his "issues" were less to do with brain injury and more to do with being the only boy in the enitire United States who wasn't diagnosed with ADHD and go figure, he was the poster child for it.

I looked up a list of questions and using my online shrink license I gave SB a quiz.  He answered yes for all but one question.  We had a winner.

We don't use any medications for him though I sometimes wish that I could dart him with a tranquilizer when he is busy making a mess.  So far, knowledge has been our most powerful tool.  Knowing that he has a harder time than most concentrating, remembering, etc. helps me to be more understanding and able to manage him.  Yes, I know that these descriptions sound like every other man but trust me, it's different.  He procrastinated so long that he ended up doing nothing for three years of my birthdays and two Christmases.  I have bought all of his plane tickets (last minute) and booked all of our vacations (last minute) since we have been together.  Ditto for any presents that he gives.  He is adamant of being measured by his intentions and not his accomplishments in our relationship.

The trade off is that my life feels blessed in many other ways.  He is almost always interested in my little projects.  He shows genuine interest when I explain art to him.  He accompanies me to my rugby matches as well as the book store.  In fact, he follows me everywhere and can keep himself entertained.  Despite a lack of attention in general subject matters he is riveted by operas and most shows on the Discovery package. You can leave animals and children in his care and he will play with them until they drop and then he will go on to find himself a snack or poke around on a new adventure.

Our night ended with him singing to me: oh Brunhilde, you are so wuvwy!
And I responded: yes I know it; I can't help it.

We compliment complement each other nicely.

Comments

Tina Safi said…
This comment has been removed by the author.