get your effects in order

Now I know that I incorrectly told you that the Rapture was coming last year but this time I have the news from the highest authorities that I know.

Last night SB informed me that according to the Drudge Report the Rapture was most likely occurring on Saturday.  Aw crap, I thought, I really wanted to see the Asian Five Nations rugby match tomorrow (it begins at 1pm at Football Club so we may still watch it if the rapture comes fashionably late in the evening).  Since my favorite hockey teams have been eliminated I won't be too distraught that I won't get to see the end of the Stanley Cup.

I would like to also take this time to remind my readers to get your things in order.  Maybe you aren't too worried about your personal effects since you figure that you and all your deserving friends are going to be transported across the rainbow but don't forget about those who are left behind- your pets.  Call up that Jewish family who lived down the street or the agnostic/atheist roommate from university and see if they like pets.  For a small fee you can donate Bingo and Pooky to the Eternal Earth Bound Pets organization.

Comments

Joyce Lau said…
Now you've picqued my curiosity. What are your favorite hockey teams?

As a Montreal native, I've a Habs fan, naturally. Thought I once I had a soft spot for the now-defunct Hartford Whalers, since I grew up in CT.

I've never liked the Bruins, and dislike them even more now that they've taken to breaking people's necks for sport.

Now I'm rooting for Vancouver for the win and regularly check the NHL website for updates. My husband thinks I'm mad.
architart said…
I have been a Pittsburgh fan since I began watching hockey, much to my father's chagrin. He is a lifelong Rangers fan and has no idea how he bred such disloyalty.

I also am an Avalanche fan even though it was hard to say goodbye to the Nordiques.

I don't like the Bruins either. SB does. It figures because he has the second highest penalty minutes for Div. 1 here (mostly due to running into people with his size 14 feet).

I love a hard hitting game but any head contact is horrifying. I hope that the NHL starts suspending players for as long as their victims are recovering. With all that we know about brain injuries we can't afford to allow that kind of poor sportsmanship to continue.

Your husband may be right- hockey madness borders on religious devotion. Are you having irrational reactions when you check the websites? Do you sing, wail, or go into convulsions?
Joyce Lau said…
The head-hitting thing is horrifying.

I saw an interview with Sidney Crosby that made me wonder if he was damaged long-term -- not just because the world's top young player was off the ice. He said he couldn't concentrate, had a hard time doing normal stuff like remembering conversations or driving a car. If these guys don't get better, then what happens to their lives? Alot of them (like the Habs rookie who had his neck broken) are in their 20s.

I'm very quiet when I check my hockey websites, since my husband is asleep and I don't want to startle him.

During the 2010 Winter Olympics, I actually had Cable TV put in for just 2 months, and then cancelled it right away. My husband really did think I was crazy.