treasures from the Wanchai market

 While perusing the market I came across a fruit that I had never seen before.  Actually, I have seen this before in the form of decorative bead work but never as an actual, edible object.  For HKG$15 per basket the price was right.  No one in my office knew what the fruit was but later in the evening my mainland friends knew exactly what the fruit was; they just didn't know the name.  Another friend thought that he had seen the fruit growing in a tree along the dragon's back.

SB thinks that it tastes like a tart strawberry.  I detect some plum also.  Does anyone out there know the name?



Comments

architart said…
Thank you! I tried to google its description or Asian berries and came up empty.
HKP said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
HKP said…
My in-house exotic fruit expert tells me that's yang mei (bayberry).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myrica_rubra
architart said…
Thank you; that was what my Chinese friends told me. Now I will have to go searching them out on my next hike, though I usually try to avoid the dragon's back in the summer.
ruesedaine said…
Yang Mei is also called Chinese Strawberry tree. http://www.tytyga.com/product/Chinese+Strawberry+Tree
architart said…
Thank you for the link! The price is right for a Father's day present except that I don't think it would love to live in Arizona.