the Voice of America

This morning I sat next to SB and read to him from the VoA press release.

"President Barack Obama is about to announce that the world's most wanted terrorist, al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden, is dead and that the United States has his body. Mr. Obama is expected to make the announcement during a nationwide television appearance at the White House Sunday night. This development would come nearly 10 years after the catastrophic attacks by al-Qaida operatives on the United States on September 11, 2001."

I was struggling to finish the reading; I guess it is true what they say about not knowing how you will react until the event actually happens.  Honestly, I hadn't thought much about it probably because I believed that he would die without being found.   I was overwhelmed with a bittersweet feeling as my thoughts went to SB's friend K who survived the attack and who has only recently returned to work in New York City.  After ten years.  What did he feel at the news?  Would it help?  Why was I crying now about it?

Only hours later did I begin to think about this man.  What was he thinking when he died?  Did I even care?  Did I want him to have suffered?  I don't know why I didn't wish him pain- maybe I would change my mind later.  Somewhere there are people mourning him, people who loved him, and I was thinking of them.  And I was thinking of all the families who lost sons and daughters because of him.  I hope that someone out there receives relief.

Comments