Questions for a long term worker

After two and a half years of working at my first job in Hong Kong I am actively looking into expanding my horizons.  I have had a conversation with my company director over the past few months now and I have his blessing to move on.  As I am gathering all of my move on information I have realized how little I know about being a worker in Hong Kong.

I think that my next employer will still need to process an employment visa before I can begin work.  Can I work at my current job while the application is being processed? 

Since signing up for my MPF I have never paid any attention to it.  When I leave should I leave it with the current administrator (Fidelity) or transfer it to my HSBC total investment?  I haven't read all of the fine print regarding the provisions but they all seem the same.  And will I need to go with my next employer's MPF plan or can I arrange to pay it into my current plan?

Does anyone want to share their experiences?

Comments

Spike said…
Visa: Your new employer will need to agree to sponsor your employment visa. They will not need to process the application before you commence. It's not a mega-big deal and your new company's HR person or department should know how to deal with it.

MPF: You will need to go with your new employer's plan. You have the option to leave the old amount where it is or to consolidate it into your new plan.
Joyce Lau said…
I took my old MPF money from two previous employers (HK Magazine and the SCMP) and put them into an HSBC account, since that is the bank I use all the time. I didn't want to have a bit of money here and there, and lose track of it by the time I retire! Now, my old MPF money shows up on my monthly HSBC statement, along with my savings, chequing, and credit card accounts.

My current employer, the IHT, uses yet another MPF provider. But at least that's just two banks I have to keep track of.

If I ever leave here, I'll probably transfer all my MPF to HSBC to keep it in one place.
architart said…
Thank you. I will cross my fingers that my first job switch goes smoothly.