can I get a what, what

When I was sent a link to BBC News Magazine's "Viewpoint: Why do some Americanisms irritate people?" I thought it would be a fun read. I've written previously about variations in colloquial English between the various English speaking countries.  The viewpoint was interesting, though not anything new.  I did roll my eyes a bit when the author parroted the often used argument about his language being the original English.  Buddy, where do you think our English came from?  You can refer to my previous post about why British English is not any more authentic than ours here.

More interesting was the follow up, "Americanisms: 50 of your most noted examples."  I am afraid that my eyes are stuck at the top of my brow line from rolling so much.  The Institute of Pretentious Ponderings' fainting couch will be overloaded by the volume of offended parties.  The complaints cover almost all of American informal speech and slang.  The chorus of mincing, (probably) Anglo complainants clearly have not stepped outside of their front doors for a good half century because they are unaware that their surrounding environment is full of bloody arsed innits.

And then there was comment number 22.  What's wrong with a train station?

Comments